Web Analytics and Web Statistics by NextSTAT The Boston Sports Nut: First autograph... Jimmy Piersall

Monday, June 9, 2008

First autograph... Jimmy Piersall


I lived on South Street in Holyoke, MA. In 1957, there was a new shopping center across the street from us and a new 'Food Mart' had opened up. Somebody told me that Jimmy Piersall was there and I quickly ran over and got his autograph. You know, I can not recall what I had him sign though. That was 51 years ago. He played for the Red Sox from 1950 until 1958 and then 'drifted' around the majors after that.


Being a kid, I wasn't aware of his 'antics' and mental health problems. I guess back then people didn't really mention things like that to youngsters. Completely different times back then...safe to walk the streets, etc.

No comments: