Web Analytics and Web Statistics by NextSTAT The Boston Sports Nut: Schilling leaning toward retirement

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Schilling leaning toward retirement

BOSTON—Curt Schilling says he's leaning "very heavily" toward retirement and is waiting until spring training approaches to see if he wants to try to pitch again. The Boston Red Sox right-hander, who underwent season-ending shoulder surgery on June 23, said in his most recent blog entry that his shoulder "is getting better fast" and "I've still got a rather lengthy amount of time before I decide anything."

Still, he said on 38pitches.com that "the pendulum is swinging very heavily in the direction of it just being over. I've never sat around and not gotten ready to head to Florida, well not in 23 or so years anyway, so to me that will likely be the last real test for me and whether or not I want to put the time and effort into getting after it one more time." Dr. Craig Morgan, who performed the surgery, estimated a few hours after it ended that Schilling could be throwing a ball in four months and throwing from a mound within seven months, by late January.

Schilling said that a few weeks ago he thought of trying to get ready to pitch in the World Baseball Classic, a 16-country event scheduled for March with the championship game March 23 at Dodger Stadium.

"But I just don't think that's in the cards," he wrote in his blog Friday. "Next I started thinking about the original plan of pitching the 2nd half of next season. Thing is, that urgency just is not there. I miss some things I didn't think I would, and don't miss many things."

Schilling, a six-time All-Star, is signed only for 2008 at $8 million. He finished last season, his 20th, ranked 14th on the career strikeout list with 3,116. His career record is 216-146 with a 3.46 ERA. He is 11-2 in postseason play and was co-MVP of the 2001 World Series with Randy Johnson for Arizona.

No comments: